Saturday, April 20, 2002

Something good to always try to keep in mind is that the human capacity for self-deception, to see the world as you would like to see it, is enormous. I find that my imagination works against me--I am able to unconsciously reinterpret people's statements so that I hear what I want to hear. And it results in quite a bit of emotional pain. That's why contemporary society's penchant for euphemism and jargon is so insidious. It allows for ambiguity and imaginative interpretation. That's why speaking and writing clearly and directly is a moral imperative. And why having a healthy dose of self-criticism is wise.

Self-deception is not just a temptation, it's a reality that has to be actively and regularly beaten down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home